Director Strategic Development & Communication
LAEP is a dynamic, mission-driven educational equity organization. This 33-year old non-profit is growing thanks to its vibrant board and dedicated staff. We work as a collaborative partner in high-poverty communities to foster great schools and families that support the personal and academic success of children and youth from birth through high school.
We are seeking an equally dynamic individual to lead our social enterprise and business-partnership expansion, as well as drive our communication and marketing strategies.
About LAEP: Founded in 1984, LAEP was the first educational-transformation organization in Los Angeles and among those at the forefront of the movement nationwide. Over the decades, our cutting-edge efforts in smaller learning communities, pilot schools, interdisciplinary curriculum and inquiry-based teaching have evolved into recognized best practices.
LAEP is the local leader in developing community schools and is an influential partner in the state and national movements. LAEP is currently launching, in partnership with Kaiser Permanente, an innovative national initiative to create trauma-informed resilient schools that includes an emphasis on teacher and staff wellness. LAEP also operates a thriving service for on-site childcare for events and meetings that mirrors a preschool experience.
This position reports to the CEO.
● In partnership with the CEO and the Strategic Planning Committee, create a three-year plan for increasing LAEP’s strategic business relationships and generating a quantifiable growth in revenue (how is the going to be measured?)
● Lead and manage strategic business relationships including:
● Identify, develop and manage strategic business relationships for LAEP
● Lead the expansion of LAEP’s early childhood fee-for-service childcare program by…?
● Supervise the manager of board and partner relations in fostering and sustaining business via professional and individual relationships including the Resource Council
● Assist the manager of board and partner relations with the recruitment of individual and corporate volunteers for LAEP, including college and career pathways, early childhood and school gatherings, STEAM and other thematic projects
● Oversee the annual fundraiser and Resource Council events and create other development events, as needed
● Manage the implementation of the donor/partner management system, Salesforce
● Develop, evaluate and manage contracts with vendors in support of both development and communication
● Support and participate in LAEP development department activities, events and meetings
● Participate in LAEP all-staff retreats, trainings and activities
● In partnership with the Communication and Marketing Committee, lead the creation of a multi-year marketing and communication plan across media platforms and manage its implementation to drive donor base, awareness, corporate funding and other clear ROI driven initiatives
● In partnership with the Communication and Marketing Committee, manage the refreshing of LAEP’s communication and marketing materials, including print, web, and other outfacing assets
● Lead communication planning and implementation for all LAEP board and development activities by making recommendations to CEO and Board for overall growth
● Elevate and manage social media to drive awareness, audience and donor engagement, and other clear metrics
● Drive traditional and digitally driven PR efforts by collaborating with CEO and Board
All other duties and responsibilities, as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
● Passion for educational equity and LAEP’s mission and vision
● Professional, resourceful style: ability to take initiative and manage multiple projects effectively
● Innovative thinker with a track record of translating strategic ideas into action plans and outcomes
● Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills, including the writing and placement of blog postings
● Adept at the use of social media (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and computer software including Microsoft suite and Google tools. Salesforce is a plus.
● Enjoys working in a highly collaborative environment
● Bachelors degree required
● Four to six years relevant experience in marketing, promotion and development; Experience working with education, advocacy, and community change preferred
● Bilingual Spanish/English beneficial
Physical and Mental Requirements:
● While performing the duties of this job, the Manager of Strategic Development & Communication is frequently required to sit; stand; stoop; bend; walk; talk; hear; use hands to grip, type; reach with hands and arms, occasionally required to stand or walk on uneven surfaces; and climb stairs.
● The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds
Licensing and Certification Requirements:
● Daily driving could be required, must provide own vehicle, valid Driver’s License and proof of full vehicle insurance coverage;
● Negative tuberculosis screen (required);
● Must pass criminal background check.
Required Documentation At Time Of Application:
● If you believe that you qualify for this position based upon education or training you have received, you will be required to provide a copy of your official transcripts or copy of diploma from the accredited college/university, and/or a copy of a certificate indicating your successful completion of any required training, before your qualifications will be evaluated.
Compensation and Benefits:
● Position is 40 hours/week including some evening and weekend hours
● Salary: Depending on Experience (DOE) plus benefits, including medical, dental, vision, retirement plan and Personal Time Off (PTO).
If you are interested, please send a cover letter and resume to Ellen Pais, CEO, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director, Strategic Development & Communication” in the subject.