Mathematics Instructional Coach
The Mathematics Instructional Coach will be hired by LAEP and supervised by the Director of Teaching and Learning.
The success of any student depends upon collaboration among educators, parents, nonprofits, government and businesses to create collective impact. Los Angeles Education Partnership is committed to facilitating collaborations that enable students to graduate college and career ready. We do this by enhancing teachers’ skills and collaboration, empowering students and parents, and engaging community organizations to partner with schools. Our commitment to creating effective schools is woven into the transformational models that we implement.
The Mathematics Instructional Coach will:
Facilitate Professional Development:
- Facilitate Regional Math or STEAM Collaborative Meetings
- Work with existing instructional support, coordinators, coaches and staff to strengthen Math or STEAM instruction
- As needed, plan and facilitate weekly common planning periods with lead teachers, department chair persons, and school instructional teams as it relates to Math or STEAM initiatives
- Employ Cognitive Coaching model to support teachers focusing on instructional strategies and classroom practices aligned to research and standards-based practices.
- Conduct demonstration lessons, facilitate peer observations, and provide feedback and ongoing support to ensure effective implementation of Common Core Standards
- Co-plan and co-facilitate ongoing work sessions with departments
- Coordinate Adaptive Schools Training for new and untrained staff and support the implementation of the consistent use of these strategies through coaching, modeling, and facilitation.
- Understand and provide ongoing support for the implementation Common Core Math Standards at school sites and within the community
- Conduct demonstration lessons, facilitate peer observations, and provide feedback and sometimes ongoing instructional support to insure the effective implementation of the Common Core Math Standards;
- Lead and/or engage in collaboratively designed meetings, and/or study groups that focus on the analysis of school data and student work for the expressed purpose of supporting rigorous, standards-based teaching and learning;
- Meet regularly with school staff to provide feedback and receive direction as it relates to site-based implementation efforts, including ongoing professional learning;
- Co-plan and co-facilitate ongoing work sessions with LAEP colleagues, department chairpersons, administrator of instruction, and other LAEP and site-based instructional teams;
- Develops and facilitates pre- and post- coaching cycles with teachers, school and staff;
- Analyzes coaching cycle, along with other pertinent data, to examine instructional support and inform next steps;
- Maintain a quarterly summary of progress summarizing progress, challenges, recommendations and next steps; to be submitted to LAEP and reviewed at progress meetings and LAEP Coaching Collaborative meetings.
- Reflect as a part of the LAEP Teaching & Learning coaching and professional development team
- Not supervise or evaluate teachers.
Employ Data Analysis:
- Facilitate data analysis of student achievement and participate in preparation of goals and implementation of action plans.
- Assist ILT in developing data-informed decision making professional learning to support the establishment of a data driven culture
- Collaborate with teachers to implement a continuous cycle of professional growth that is responsive to student needs.
- Participate in LAEP project workgroups, feeder pattern networks, coordinator networks, department meetings and all staff development meetings and activities.
- Participate in LAEP activities that support the culture and successes of LAEP and School Communities.
- Process documentation as required for administrative procedures, including invoices, timesheets, evaluation materials and tracking logs.
- A valid California teaching credential
- 5 years minimum full-time, content teaching experience in Math or STEAM related subject
- Preferred single subject foundation math or above credential
- Preferred background in Applied Mathematics or similar
- Prefer Cognitive Coaching and/or Adaptive Schools trained
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Proficient in Desmos and other Math or STEAM related technology
- BA required, Master’s degree preferred in a related field such as education, literacy, or math
- Experience connecting literacy and math
- Experience with implementation of Trauma Informed Instruction
- Experience with Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
- Experience with project planning for supports to increase student’s academic success through parent engagement, school collaboration, and social emotional health
- Excellent communication and organizational skills; strong written and interpersonal skills
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- Experience developing and facilitating professional development trainings for faculty (i.e. Cognitive Coaching; Design Thinking; Asset Based Strategies; Critical Friends Culture; Adaptive Schools strategies; Lesson Study; Instructional Rounds; Modeling of CCSS-aligned instructional strategies)
- Experience facilitating strategic planning and collaboration around instructional priorities and grading practices
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate collaboration among diverse teachers and staff members
- Experience working with students of diverse abilities & backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Builds excellent rapport and relationships with teachers, students, and parents and LAEP colleagues
- Earns the respect of the school site staff and wider community
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- While performing the duties of this job, the Mathematics Instructional Coach is frequently required to sit; stand; stoop; bend; walk; talk; hear; use hands to grip, type; reach with hands and arms, occasionally required to stand or walk on uneven surfaces; and climb stairs.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds
Licensing and Certification Requirements:
- Daily driving could be required, must provide own vehicle, valid Driver’s License and proof of full vehicle insurance coverage;
- Negative tuberculosis screen (required to start work at school site);
- Must pass criminal background check.
Required Documentation at Time of Application:
- If you believe that you qualify for this position based upon education or training you have received, you will be required to provide a copy of your official transcripts or copy of diploma from the accredited college/university, and/or a copy of a certificate indicating your successful completion of any required training, before your qualifications will be evaluated.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Position is part-time and variable
- Salary: Depending on Experience (DOE); hourly
Deadline to Apply: May 26th, 2017